[NMD2018] Keynote Dahlen: 'The expectations society is still around and it brought us Trump'
- 25 mei 2018 @ 09:00
- 10691 x gelezen
BBP Media - MarketingTribune
- 25 mei 2018 @ 09:00
- 10691 x gelezen
- Nanny Kuilboer
Micael Dahlen, Professor of Marketing and Consumer Behavior aan de Stockholm School of Economics in Zweden, is één van de twee prominente keynotes tijdens Nima Marketing Day editie 2018. In aanloop naar 21 juni stelde MarketingTribune deze rijzende ster in marketingwetenschap alvast een aantal vragen.
Was the release of Nextopia your big breakthrough?
Nextopia was my first book to be released in Dutch, so obviously I would have to say yes. I have loved the Netherlands for a long time, and was very happy when I finally received some liking back 😊.
Is Nextopia still on topic or do you see a shift away from the expectations society?
I wish I could say that we've all learned and evolved beyond it, but it's still around, and it brought us Trump! However, I'm glad to observe that sustainability and Streamness - creating streams, movements of meaning together - are becoming increasingly important in society.
What is your current research topic?
I never have just one. I'm still very much into happiness, which was a primary part in Nextopia. I actually released a new book last year – Chaosology, which is not out in Dutch yet, so obviously it hasn't had its breakthrough yet! - which dugs deeply into well-being, how people can be a bit more happy, do more of what they want and less of what they don't really want, and - pardon my "Swedish" - kick life in the ass. I have a couple of projects on the quantification of life and how all this feedback and numbers related to everything we do impact us. And I'm working on my "next Monster", a life science journey-experiment-expose kind of thing.
What was your drive to write Monster?
I was curious about people's fascination with evil and serial killers. It all started with a tabloid billboard, citing an open letter from Sweden's most infamous killer which said "Stop sending me all these love letters". I just couldn't understand it. So I travelled the world, met the serial killers and dug into ordinary people's minds, and finally understood better than I would have wanted.
I saw a picture of your office space…is that real and workable?
Very real and very workable. It's the way I work. Chaosology.
Are you proud of people calling you the ‘rockstar professor’?
No, but the little boy who grew up with very bad hearing and dreamt of being a rockstar but didn't understand that his music did not really sound that good, would have loved it. I'm happy for him.
Are you familiar with the brands represented at Nima Marketing Day 2018?
I'm pretty familiar with a number of them, both from my stays in the Netherlands and from encounters elsewhere. The rest I look forward to getting to know when we meet soon!
How do you prepare yourself to address a room filled with Dutch marketeers?
With kroketten and stroopwafels, like I always do when I'm in the Netherlands. Love them! I actually think that who and what people love and eat says a lot about who they are, so I'm always curious about that when I travel and get to know a country. And the Netherlands love and eat so well! My wife's not too keen on my exploring too much of the loving, though, but I'm all in with the eating 😊. Other than that, I prepare myself with grave performance anxiety, because the Dutch are so smart and hip, but also calm myself knowing that they are among the friendliest people I know.
What’s your connection with Peeter Verlegh, Professor of Marketing and the Head of the Marketing Department at VU Amsterdam and the person who is going to introduce you at Nima Marketing Day?
Peeter is the archetypical Dutch Professor to my mind - supersmart and extremely gracious. That's rare in academia, at least in the rest of the world, professors tend to be either or. Peeter and I met way back at some conference, where he stood out with those two qualities and I instantly wanted be friends with him. We don't meet very frequently, but when I need the very sharpest eye on some piece of research - my own, or some article that needs review for the research journals where I am an associate editor - I send it to him.
Ook een kaartje bemachtigen? Schrijf je dan snel hier in, want vol = vol.
- AlgemeenWeblog House remix-mode met 90s-attitudeNieuws Tech-bedrijven domineren BrandZ Top...Magazine Klantreis staat centraal in...Magazine Feestdagencampagne als startpunt...Magazine De grootst mogelijke kleine stap Nieuws Inzamelactie kerstcadeautjes door...
- Business-to-BusinessNieuws Apenrots WPP verkochtNieuws Thema's Nima Marketing Day 2019 bekendWeblog Marketing automation kan niet langer...Nieuws Volvo zet zich in voor diversiteit...Nieuws Carsharing met 200 elektrische...Nieuws Gebrek aan analytische vaardigheden...
- BureausNieuws Eurobest 2018: Nederland valt 13...Nieuws Roorda, Rijksoverheid en Donnie...Nieuws Staatsloterij vertedert met FrekkelNieuws KWF start lampion-campagneNieuws 22 juryvoorzitters SAN bekendNieuws GUC Agency ontwikkelt kerstbal-actie...
- ContentmarketingNieuws Olcay Gulsen is brand ambassador...Nieuws Mediabranche leidend op YouTubeNieuws Amnesty International lanceert glossyNieuws Jägermeister maakt zich op voor...Nieuws Vice Sports en KNVB brengen...Nieuws Born05 lanceert voice-bureau: 'Het...
- DesignNieuws Mauro Porcini van Pepsico spreekt op...Nieuws Inschrijving NL Packaging Awards...Weblog eindejaarstips voor creatieve...Weblog column Hoe maak je smart home...Nieuws Ton Giesbergen overledenNieuws Nieuwe website BNO door Grrr moet...
- Food en RetailNieuws Fysieke winkels blijven basis Peek...Weblog [column] Trekt een hologram in de...Nieuws Nieuwe online docuserie Meet The...Nieuws Aldi test twee luxere winkelsNieuws Max Verstappen en G-Star Raw gaan...Weblog [column] What's next in food &...
- MediaNieuws Mercur-interview Irene Smit: 'Flow...Nieuws Allard Ruyl verruilt BrandDeli voor...Nieuws Mercur-interview Sterre van Leer:...Nieuws Mercurs 2018: uitreiking in zichtNieuws Mercur-interview Damiaan Hage:...Nieuws Beau is Omroepman van het Jaar
- Online MarketingNieuws 7 belangrijke SEO trends in 2019 Weblog Beyond the hype: deze 5...Nieuws Nederlandse merken gelden als meest...Nieuws Hollands tintje aan Amazon...Nieuws Sinterklaas laat omzet webwinkeliers...Weblog column Social highlights november 2018
- SponsoringNieuws Björn Borg bundelt krachten met...Nieuws O'sonyq sportdrank-supplier van KNZBNieuws Gazelle ondersteunt TeamNL met...Nieuws Hertz partner van Beat Cycling ClubNieuws Red Bull roeit mee met Holland 8Nieuws Players United en MediaActivationCo...
- Mis niets! Schrijf je nu in voor de gratis nieuwsbrief.
Word abonnee en ontvang:
- ✔ 22 keer per jaar MarketingTribune Magazine
- ✔ Korting tot wel €100,- op events
- ✔ Gratis tablet versie
MarketingTribune | Vacatures
Dé plek voor een nieuwe stap in je carrière! Ontvang nieuwe relevante vacatures direct in je inbox:
Schaal+ zorgt voor jong digitaal talent op de werkvloer